Hougang United finally down by DPMM

Abdul Aziz Tamit 0.g 29′, Geison Moura 84′

Roy O’Donovan 56′, 77′, 80′ pen

The Cheetahs long unbeaten streak was derailed by visitors DPMM FC, when the Bruneian outfit managed to go out 3-2 winners at Hougang Stadium

Eventhough the Cheetahs had already qualified for the knockout stages, however, this is to secure their opponents in the quarters, either facing Woodlands or Home United.

Seeing this was a pre-empt before their league encounter at Bandar Seri Begawan on August 3rd, the Cheetahs showed why they are the in-form team in the moment.

Fazli Jaffar first rappled the bar with his shot as early as fourth minute, with DPMM in turn replied with Adi Said closing into the Cheetahs’ goal, but the Hougang backline managed to trouble the striker off.

At the other end, Diego Gama managed to make DPMM custodian Wardun Yusof work as he met a Fairoz Hassan cross and managed to steer a powerful header towards goal. However

Wardun deserved credits for getting down quickly to stop the ball from crossing the line.

Hougang then had another big chance in the 20th minute when the aforementioned duo combined again.

This time the roles were reversed as Gama turned provider to release Fairoz down the right. The winger cut into the box and had a go from an acute angle but unfortunately his attempt only found the side netting.

The Cheetahs finally found the breakthrough, when Geison Moura’s cross was bundled in by DPMM’s defender Abdul Aziz Tamit, to put the Cheetahs in the lead.

The Cheetahs went into the lead at the break, however, DPMM came out strongly in the second half.

In the 49th minute, O’Donavan had Basil Chan to beat, however the Hougang custodian managed to grab the ball off the Irishman feet.

However, Basil could not prevent, when O’Donavan headed home strongly off Joe Gamble’s cross in the 59th minute.

In the 74th minute, the Cheetahs’ had the wonderful chance to take the lead again, after Fazli Jaffar’s wonderful run and found Diego Gama on the left. The Brazillian cut back towards the winger, who could have taken a chance himself, instead giving Shunsuke Nakatake a chance to score, however, the Japanese was a second late and the chance went abegging

That proved to be costly for the Cheetahs, as O’Donovan rappled his shot on 78 minutes to give DPMM a lead.

The Bruneian outfit sealed the game, when Basil fouled Rodrigo Tosi in the penalty box. Roy O’Donovan took the spotkick and raced his team to a 3-1 lead.

However, that wasn’t the end of the scoring, when Faiz Salleh’s cross was met by Geison Moura, whose shot was deflected off Joe Gamble and into the net.

The Cheetahs could not find the equalizer though, as they finished second in Group D and will face Home United at Bishan Stadium this Thursday.

Basil Chan, Igor Ferreira Alves, Wahyudi Wahid, Faizal Amir (Faiz Salleh 76′), Lau Meng Meng, Shunsuke Nakatake, Fairoz Hasan (Azhar Sairudin 56′), Fazli Jaffar, Nurhilmi Jasni, Geison Moura, Diego Gama (Nazirul Islam 90′)

Wardun Yussoff, Boris Raspudic, Abdul Aziz Tamit (Shahrulrizal A.Rahman 78′), Joe Gamble, Roberto Alviz, Azwan Salleh, Hendra Azam (Najib Tarif 78′), Rosmin Kamis, Adi Said (Sairol Sahari 83′), Rodrigo Tosi, Roy O’Donovan.

Bookmark the permalink.