Faridzuan’s strike earns valuable point against Cubs


Muhd Hazim 33′

Faridzuan Fuad 63 pen’

Faridzuan’s penalty strike on 63 minutes earned the Cheetahs another draw, this time against the Singapore Cubs on Saturday.

The late afternoon game was threatened by a downpour on the western side of Singapore, a rare occurrence in this current year.

The game was stopped after the 36th minute for three quarters of an hour due to the activation of the Lightning Warning System (LWS). However, the passion of both teams was never in question.

The Cubs started out the better side, winning every battle in midfield, and should have had a healthy lead if not for the chances that came begging.

The Cubs finally scored a goal on the 33rd minute, when Muhd Hazim, last year’s Prime League top scorer conjured an excellent freekick that beat Hakim Sutar at the Hougang goal.

The score stayed 1-0 to the Cubs at half time. However, coach Mohd Azli’s men were recharged after the break.

Faridzuan Fuad, who graduated from the NFA last year, now donning the Cheetahs’ jersey no. 24, did not want to return home disappointed after facing his former team mates.

Faridzuan came close in the 56th minute, after a well executed through pass from Al-Nazirul. He rounded off the Cubs’ custodian but his ball went wide.

Seven minutes later, the Cheetahs were awarded a penalty when Faridzuan was adjudged to be pushed by Jeffrey Lightfoot. Faridzuan himself took the penalty, and successfully converted it for an equalizer.

From then, Hougang kept pressing for the winner and almost succeeded when Faridzuan latched onto another pass from Al-Nazirul. His lob beat the keeper but didn’t land in the net.

The Cheetahs and Cubs shared the points but the boys looked joyful after the game after earning a precious point. They will next face Singapore U-18 team at Hougang Stadium on 15th March.

Photo credits: Shawn
Visit the Hougang United FC Supporters’ Club facebook page for more match photos.

Bookmark the permalink.