Prime League: Hougang United 0-4 Geylang International





The Prime League boys went on another winless streak, this time they fell 0-4 down against the young Eagles, who went to fourth gear from the start of the game.

The Cheetahs failed to find their feet the entire game, as the Hougang pitch was waterlogged, due to a heavy downpour which lasted two hours, right till kickoff, which was delayed for an hour.

The Eagles took the lead after three minutes, after Hougang old boy Duncan Elias floated his freekick above the Hougang defence. Centreback Ashrul Syafeeq rose the highest to head home the ball past his former team mate, Hakim Sutar.

The Eagles had plenty of chances, and the score would be greater if not for Hakim Sutar’s superb goalkeeping, denying at least five sure goal chances. However, his defence did not helped, as the Cheetahs went two down.

On 17 minutes, Hyder Ismail managed to get past Aubrey Ang from the right, and crossed the ball towards the Hougang penalty box. Striker Ahmad Khidhir initially fluffed a great chance, however, the slight delfection went to Safwan Ramlan, who made no mistake to  plummet the ball into the net for a two goal lead.

Hougang had a great chance on 38 minutes. A good run from Sobrie Mazelan from the right found an unmaked Basit Hamid in the box. Basit, clearly the best player in purple in the game, volleyed the ball towards goal, however, the ball went wide, much to Jerome Baker’s annoyance, as he was in a clearer position to score.

The Cheetahs were increasingly frustrated by the easy chances they presented to the visitors after the half time, and they went into all offensive to get into the game. However, the Eagles went three clear on 53 minutes, when Safwan Ramlan scored his second goal after a great piledriver outside the box left Hakim Sutar no chance to save the ball.

The Cheetahs two great chances to get back into the game with one attack. A scramble in the penalty box led the ball to Shameer Aziq who took a chance to ram the ball to wards goal, but Joey Sim made a great save to deflect it for a corner. The subsequent corner had Shameer Aziq another opportunity to get the ball into the net, but Joey Sim made another excellent save.

By 68 minutes, it was all over for the home side, after a good run by Nurul Islam from the midfield found Ahmad Khidhir unmarked in the box. With only Hakim to beat, Ahmad made a simple passing shot into the net to bring the score to 4-0.

The misery piled on the hosts as Jerome Baker was sent off with 5 minutes remaining, as the referee adjudged Baker, who left the pitch without the knowledge of the referee, when Baker is to have said to incur an injury.

The Cheetahs are on a four game winless run with only one win to their name all season.


Hakim Sutar, Sim Shun Hai, Benedict Chua, Azan Jaya (Garnell Syazani 90′), Aubrey Ang, Al-Roshuzairi ( Faozi Rossli 58′), Hwang Kok Chang (Roimy Kassim 72′), Basit Hamid, Sobrie Mazelan, Shameer Aziq, Jerome Baker (sent off 85′)

Bookmark the permalink.